Recently I was tasked to figured out if it is possible to convert from Citrix XenServer VHD to Microsoft Hyper-V VHD. This will facilitate the ability to migrate from a Citrix XenServer Hypervisor to a Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor.
The steps are as below :-
- Login to your XenCenter. Connect to the relevant XenServer in my case is a XenServer 5.6 SP2.
- Select Tools –> Virtual Appliance Tool –>Export Appliance
- Define the Appliance Name and also the Destination on the local Computer where the XenCenter is installed on,then Hit Next
- Select the Virtual Machine you would like to convert.
- Add any EULA necessary which in my case it wasn’t necessary
- Enter any security Settings necessary, which in my case is not necessary so default settings is maintained
- Please add in any advance option necessary, since we are needing the VHD file so leave all the options unselected. Hit Finish
- Conversion in progress.
- After its done succesfuly click done
- You will see the VHD file in the directory
- Copy the VHD file to your Hyper-V host. Configure and attach harddisk as per-normal Hyper-V steps
- Uninstall the Citrix Tool and Install Hyper-V Integration Tool
*edit I recently posted how to convert XVA file to vhd.If you exported your XenServer VMs out. You can use an alternate tool instead of re-importing it into your XenServer. Please refer to this URL http://www.mytechrants.com/2011/06/24/converting-citrix-xva-file-to-microsoft-hyper-v-vhd/